2012-08-23

The New Time-Suck....

I'm already on Facebook and Pinterest, officially the 2 greatest time-sucks out there and guess what?!? I found a worse one. Yup, it's way worse(for me anyway).
Couponing.

I've always used coupons, I wouldn't be a true, frugal Mennonite if I didn't. But I've never taken it to the next level and couponed (yes, there is a difference) until now.
It's amazing the things you will do when you realize things are tight and you want to do your part to help lower the cost of "life". I figure that this is my way of having an "income" while being an at-home-mom of two (emphasis on AT HOME... we only have one car, and that combined with Zach's crazy schedule and call shifts, the kids and I are home all. week. long.).
So couponing it is, and let me tell you,
it's ADDICTING!
As soon as I walked out of the first grocery store with $40 worth of stuff for $10.40, I was hooked. 
And my maniacal grin as I walked to our car (with Zach and the kids waiting in it) told Zach that I was forever hooked.
My first haul from 2 stores... $140 worth of groceries for $47!!
First words out of his mouth were, "we are NOT going to be those people with a pantry full of deodorant!"! Hahaha love him. Was I supposed to just leave the 2 deodorants behind that I was going to get for free?? NO chance. A few minutes later he said, "we're going to be the best smelling most well groomed people EVER". I mean, come on?? Would that be the worst thing ever?!?
I didn't think so.
All this to say, I'm serious about this new endeavor and with websites like www.southernsavers.com it's just made it idiot proof...well, Jen proof anyway.

At this point, I'm obviously still figuring the whole crazy thing out, but I've been spending less on groceries and have been accumulating quite the stockpile. All good things in my books!
Best part, it seems that it's the nice grocery stores that have the best deals and coupon policies, so I get to shop in the classier stores! Yay!

Anyhoop, you know I wouldn't leave you without some pictures of the ol' kiddos.....




How precious are they?! 
How did Caleb get to be 5 months already??
How do I have a 4 year old?? 
Why do we only have one car?
Why does Publix not consider Target a "competitor" when it comes to couponing?
Will Zach ever be home in time for dinner?
These are all questions that fly through my head on a daily basis......

3 comments:

Amy said...

hehe.... your addicted. That is amazing. I need to do this. Teach me your ways, oh wise one.
LOVE your babies. I do. I LOVE them.
I wish we had a Publix. really, I do.

Astrid said...

Go, Menno, Go!! Good job, Jen. It's a good time-suck to have. Like you said, you're doing your part and saving/ earning money;) it's fantastisch!!

And your kids. Are you kidding me?!? Love. Like my own, I love. X x

Marlena said...

Such adorable kiddos - seriously good genes in your pool!
the coupon thing is all-consuming in the beginning but it will taper off after the first 6-8 months. Sean told me no more bodywash not even if it's free - not that we're those crazy room-full of soap people, but eventually you don't feel compelled to still make one more trip for that elusive deal when you have half a dozen of whatevers. I actually use less coupons these days but I still stock-up on sale prices. Anyone can save 10-20% on their grocery bills by shopping sale vs regular-store prices. I love the southernsavers site too.