2011-05-06

Upcycled Hoop Art...


I bought a shirt from Forever 21 and surprise, surprise--it shrunk;) And it didn't just do the overall normal shrinkage, oh no. It did a weird shrink up, but some how widen through the body??



Now I'm not knocking Forever 21, I buy a lot of clothes from them because they're cheap and trendy, but usually you're allowed to WASH them....

Do not wash?!? Really??? I mean come on!
Well, that loss turned into a fabulous hoop art project:)


I grabbed a seem ripper(why is this such an awful task?!?) and took the applique off.


I took the body of the tank and stretched it over the quilting hoop I had laying around. It was a little see-through, so I backed it with a white flour sack towel I also had laying around. I had this gorgeous massive blue flower that Amy made and didn't know what to do with(ummm I'll take it!!) so I decided to add it because I'm lovin' the blue yellow combo right now


and it really was massive...too massive for a lot of projects...but not this one!


I attached the flower and applique(which I decided to cut in two so I'd have "leaves")....pretty sure I did this wrong, but they stay...and that's what matters right?!


I then trimmed the excess fabric and used my trusty glue gun to glue my fingers....errr fabric to the hoop. Why is that glue so hot?! And why must it always find it's way to my finger??


I'm so happy with how it turned out! I kinda feel like somethings missing up top, but I had to resist my usual urge to add too much to it :)


So I made some art...for free!! I had all this stuff laying around, I love when that happens!

Linking up here....










Photobucket





<Photobucket

6 comments:

Marcy said...

Love it!!! Was that shirt only suppose to be worn once or meant for girls who don't sweat?? Also, really lovin the flower! If Amy has any more of those flowers hangin around, I would love to use one for my hair! :)

Amy said...

Sweet Jen, love and adore it. That was an incredible large flower.... I gota bit carried away..... Sorry Marcy
no more...

Astrid said...

Why must you live so far away?!? I could do with some lovely crafty things in my house ( Colleen would be most impressed---Ju make-a me krafty!) Anaways, another success sister. I've said it before, and I'll say it again.........ETSY! Sell this stuff! Seriously!

Handbags*and*Pigtails said...

This is adorable! I love hoop art. Its actually a type of recent obsession of mine:) I love it when people think outside the box...you totally did that here.
xo,
Sarah

Unknown said...

i absolutely LOVe hoop art!! this one that you have made is absolutely adorable!!

Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things} said...

Thank you so much for your sweet comment and linking up your wonderful projects!
This turned out really cute!! I guess it was a good thing forever 21 doesn't want you to wash the shirt. Cute and creative use for it!
Where in Germany is your family from? That is so awesome that you grew up learning German!
Dann kann ich ja auch auf Deutsch mit Dir schreiben. ;)
Unfortunately I couldn't reply to your comment in an email, because your email-address is hidden. So, this turned out to be a long comment..
xoxo,
Vanessa

PS: Forever 21 is called Forever 18 in Germany. Maybe because over here you're of legal age at 18. Hehe